Friday, April 5, 2013


So back in January Hubby got a new job.  I wrote about it here.  Well, on Monday he came home at lunch time...and stayed home.  He'd been let go.  Turns out following the rules is not a characteristic to be desired in someone who works for a trucking company!  Of course we were shocked and devastated and all that for that day.  We prayed and decided to be thankful.

We talked a lot.  He had to decide by Wednesday whether he would take his old position (driving truck) at this company or not as they were terminating his position as fleet manager but offering him his old job back.  Ultimately he came to the conclusion he could not work for a company where honesty and compassion are a liability.  I was much relieved with this conclusion!

So the plan (and we know God has His own plans, so we'll see how this goes, haha) is that Hubby is going to not work for now, and finish his flight training instead.  He's a pilot, but hasn't been able to work much as one.  (He worked as a flight instructor for a while a number of years ago but that paid next to nothing.)  He needs to get a couple more ratings, and that costs a lot.  (He already has lots of hours.)  Thankfully we were able to put money aside for flight training when we sold our house & property.  We just didn't know when he'd be able to make use of it.  Well, here's an opportunity!  No job, no kids!  So the flight training will take about 2 months.  After that he will apply at places that fly commuters or charters.  While he's waiting to hear from them (pilots aren't in great demand) he will go back to driving truck (at a different company) since truckers are always needed.

We have to cut down on our spending, which kinda sucks. We lived so long drowning in debt, living paycheque to paycheque, and borrowing money, that I am terrified we will go back to that again.  Hubby has assured me it won't come to that and I believe him.  But these last few months since we sold our house & property and got out of debt and quit relying on others have been so freeing that I don't like the idea of holding back again.  But it won't be nearly as bad as last time.  We are in a lot better shape financially than we were!

So, as you know, our homestudy is scheduled for April 20 and 22.  Our Dear Birthparent letter is complete as well as our questionnaires.  So this new change left me confused and worried.  Should we take all that back and change it before our homestudy?  Should we change it to say Hubby is unemployed but in school?  Who would want parents where BOTH are unemployed?!  Should we - please, no - put off our homestudy until Hubby is all done his schooling and then we can revise our papers to say he's a pilot or a truck driver?  So I emailed our agency to ask these questions and she suggested we still complete the homestudy as scheduled - phew! - and only make changes to our paperwork when Hubby is done his schooling.  Sounds like a plan to me!

Although unexpected changes are stressful, I'm happy Hubby has the opportunity to follow his dream of flying for a living!


  1. Wow, what a turn of events! I find it comforting that God is always working for our good in every situation. His plan is always good and sometimes a lot different than our's!

  2. Goodness! I know I'd be feeling anxious too! It is nice to see God in all our troubles, though. Pity the company that let your husband go... but it seems that you are finding God in that, too! Can't wait to hear about your homestudy! Praying for you!

  3. Wow! I don't blame you for being stressed! I'm sure that Hubby losing his job is a blessing in disguise. Especially if he can focus on his flight training :)

    ICLW #61


Comments are like little gifts! :)