Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

God is With Us

I have been sick for the last 4 1/2 weeks; at this point, we are still uncertain as to what is wrong with my body.  To be honest, I am really struggling emotionally and am relying heavily on verses like these to provide calm.  I want to share some of the things that God is teaching me during this time; my hope is that God would use these verses, and my thoughts on them, to encourage and comfort those of you who believe in Jesus, and strengthen your faith in Him.

***

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."
Psalm 23:4

A shepherd's rod was used to protect his sheep, and his staff was used to guide the sheep.  The Lord's protection and guidance are a comfort to us.  Note this verse does not say the Lord will take us out of the valley of the shadow of death, but that while we are in it, we will not fear the evil in it, because He comforts us with His protection and guidance.

***
"And when He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him.  And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but He was asleep.  And they went and woke Him, saying, "Save us, Lord; we are perishing."  And He said to them, "Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?"  Then He rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm."
Matthew 8:23-26

Jesus is in the boat - in our storms - with us.  (Also, as a side note, He has the ability to calm our storms if He desires to.  As the Ball Brothers sing, "Sometimes He calms the storm, and other times He calms His child.")  It is a comfort to me to know that God is in the boat with me when I am in a storm, because His presence has a calming effect on me.

***
"It is the Lord who goes before you.
He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you.
Do not fear or be dismayed."
Deuteronomy 31:8 (also vs. 6 and Hebrews 13:5)

This is Moses talking to Joshua, who was going to succeed Moses.  Joshua would be going into battle.  The Lord is with us in the battles, never leaving.  Thank You, Lord!

***

2 comments:

  1. God's Word. Food for the soul! Truth! So thankful for God's promises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these encouraging verses. Yes, the Lord is with us! Praise the Lord!

    Praying for you as well. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like little gifts! :)